Cohasset Public Schools Collective Bargaining Agreement
Cohasset Public Schools Collective Bargaining Agreement: What You Need to Know
A collective bargaining agreement, also known as a CBA, is a contract negotiated between an employer and a union representing the employees. It outlines the terms and conditions of employment, such as wages, benefits, and working conditions. For public school districts, CBAs can impact everything from teacher salaries to classroom sizes.
Cohasset, a coastal town in Massachusetts, is home to the Cohasset Public Schools (CPS) district. The CPS serves students in grades K-12 and employs over 150 teachers and staff members. The district`s CBA, which was last negotiated in 2017, has significant implications for both the district and its employees.
Here are some key details about the Cohasset Public Schools Collective Bargaining Agreement:
1. Length of Agreement: The current CBA is effective from July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2019. Negotiations for a new contract are currently underway.
2. Salary Increases: The CBA outlines salary increases for teachers and staff members over the three-year period. For example, in the first year of the contract, teachers received a 1.75% raise, and in the second year, they received a 2% raise.
3. Health Insurance: The district provides health insurance coverage for its employees and their families. The CBA outlines the percentage of the premium that the district will pay for each employee, as well as the types of plans available.
4. Grievance Procedure: The CBA includes a grievance procedure that allows employees to file a complaint if they believe their rights have been violated. The procedure outlines the steps that must be taken to resolve the grievance, including meetings with school administrators and the union representative.
5. Professional Development: The CBA includes provisions for professional development opportunities for teachers and staff members. This can include workshops, conferences, and other training programs.
Negotiating a CBA can be a complex and time-consuming process, but it is essential for ensuring that both the district and its employees are treated fairly. In Cohasset, the CBA helps to establish a framework for employment that benefits all parties involved.
Whether you`re a teacher or staff member in the Cohasset Public Schools district or simply interested in how CBAs work, it`s essential to understand the key details of the agreement. By doing so, you can gain a better understanding of the rights and responsibilities of the district and its employees.